Friday, December 2, 2011

Favorite Lines Friday

I'm not quite finished reading The Library at Night by Alberto Manguel and I already have scribbled down and bookmarked enough favorite lines for many Fridays. Today, I thought I'd share one about quoting itself.

[T]o quote is to continue a conversation from the past in order to give context to the present...to quote is to reflect on what has been said before, and unless we do that, we speak in a vacuum where no human voice can hear a sound.

And here I just thought I was collecting lines that were amusing to me, stated something more elegantly than I ever could, or sounded cool. Who would have thought my purpose was so noble? Of course, there's plenty of irresponsible quoting that is unfortunately not spoken in a vacuum.  I'll endeavor to avoid being like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment