Monday, November 19, 2012

The Murder of Roger Ackroyd by Agatha Christie

How do I write about a great mystery story? How do I tell you my favorite parts and what I figured out and what I didn’t figure out and what completely surprised me without spoiling the whole story? Because, trust me, I don’t want to spoil the story if you happen not to have read this one.

 
I will say that the setting and characters of The Murder of Roger Ackroyd are interesting and well-devised. Christie’s writing makes for fun reading even before she sucks you into a seemingly impossible mystery. Hercule Poirot is his usual pompously genius self and, despite the efforts of the intelligent and observant narrator, it is only Poirot’s little gray cells that can solve this complicated affair.
 
Of course, if you’ve ever read an Agatha Christie mystery before, none of that is the least bit new. Such is pretty much the formula for most of her stories. There are plenty of surprises in The Murder of Roger Ackroyd, however, with each character having something to hide (as Poirot knew they would). Nearly everyone is a suspect with the motive and means of doing away with the recently departed Ackroyd. Everyone has a secret. Everyone lives a lie.

This is a delightful mystery, which is strange to say, since it is loaded with so much of the worst of humanity: blackmail, poison, narcotic addiction, theft, prejudice, lies, lies and more lies…not to mention the murder itself. While I love the puzzles mystery stories present, I can overdose on all the death and evil and filthiness of humanity if I read too many of them one after the other. I was glad I took the time with this one, however, because it not only keep my heart pounding and my fingers turning the pages, but also satisfied my search for quality and uniqueness. I haven’t read a mystery quite like this one, even a copycat, and I enjoyed the word choice, phrasing, character development (concise as it must be) and dialogue as much as the puzzle.

I’d love to discuss further how this story is unique and interesting, but I’d be giving too much away! Much as it pains me to keep the secret, you’ll get no spoilers here!
 
 
 

A Year (Plus) of Books I Should Have Read by Now

No comments:

Post a Comment