Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Postscript to The Name of the Rose by Umberto Eco

This little book is the response written by the author following the success of The Name of the Rose (one of my favorite books ever.) In it he describes his inspiration, influence and process, leaving me dumbfounded and even more worshipful of Umberto Eco than I was before.


While I’m in awe of Eco’s smarts and abilities, Postscript to The Name of the Rose gives me a lot of insight into the 90% perspiration part of proverbial genius. Eco gives us lots of details about how he went about researching the time, place and people in The Name of the Rose. It’s a bit overwhelming to think of putting that much work into anything, but it really gives one a new idea about how something so great is created. This kind of stuff just doesn’t pop fully formed out of a savant’s head.

Eco also discusses the value of entertainment in literature and doesn’t seem to mind if some of us plebes just enjoy his work without really understanding all of the allusions or postmodern irony or any of that stuff that makes The Name of the Rose an important “text” rather than just a historical detective novel (which I appreciate). That doesn’t mean, however, that I’m going to just sit back and read Eco’s novels, blissfully ignorant, but entertained. Since he’s kind enough to let us in on his process and some of his especially learned levels of understanding of history, literature and symbolism, I’m hoping to become a more worthy reader each time I read The Name of the Rose and Postscript to The Name of the Rose.

And I will be reading them again….someday.

 

 

A Year of Books I’ve Read Before

No comments:

Post a Comment