Monday, January 28, 2013

A Year at the Movies by Kevin Murphy

One Man's Filmgoing Odyssey



Kevin Murphy, of whom I became a big fan while watching Mystery Science Theater 3000, didn’t just focus on movies in the year 2001. He experienced the full-blooded phenomenon of viewing publicly-presented films every single day in that year. That’s the story of A Year at the Movies.


While Murphy knows plenty about film itself and does comment on particular films, this memoir is almost entirely about the venues of viewing. He experienced the multiplex in all its magnificent glassy-eyed dullness and concluded, “It’s a shame that the country’s best screens are being used for the country’s stupidest films.” He viewed films all over the world in some of the largest theaters and in the very smallest. He watched art films with snobs and dumb movies with everyone else. He experienced some of the most interesting movie houses and met some of the most interesting movie people. I wanted to know more about the films he watched, whether this film or that film was good, whether he liked the same films I did, but I got caught up in his real theme, filmgoing, and enjoyed the ride all the way. 

Murphy is cynical and funny, intelligent and open-minded. His year-long journey/experiment, took some good planning, a fair bit of optimism, and plenty of guts. Yes, he pulled a few stunts while experiencing the movies, like dressing in full nun drag for a sing-along The Sound of Music, sneaking an entire turkey dinner with all the trimmings into a theater on Thanksgiving, and dating several women in one week (he’s married) just to re-discover the concept of the date movie. He also found wonderful venues, like the Midnight Sun Film Festival in Finland and a tiny, well-run theater in Australia, and found along with them a renewed hope in culture of the cinema.

I’m not someone who likes to brave the movie theater very often. The big screen and huge sound system aren’t often worth the extra cash to me, even with the bonus feature of sharing a dark room with big strangers over whom I have to step to get to a good seat. I have had some great experiences in movie theaters, however, and it was the feelings invoked by these experiences that allowed me to share some of the hope for the cinema along with Kevin Murphy. Going to the movies should be fun, and the best showings, sometimes independent of the quality of the film itself, are those during which every audience member is having a good time.

I like Murphy’s attitude and the care he has for quality entertainment. I also admire the energy with which he tackled this project, especially through setbacks and obstacles ranging from jet lag to a kidney stone to Corky Romano.  A Year at the Movies makes me wish I loved the movies as much as he does. (Maybe in my own little way, my love of stories well-told, I do.) His passion is inspirational and contagious. I can’t help but get excited by such enthusiasm: “The cinema is a miracle. Great drama, humor, sound, and spectacle, image and motion, all malleable, all portable, seen in a crowd, the world shown to the world, our modern circus, our timeless stage. It can be crudely assembled or finely polished, but it all has the potential to thrill me.”

This is a highly entertaining memoir of a monumental adventure and it makes me excited about movies again, like I was as a kid and they were a big event. Murphy suggests that we demand better from film-providers, and perhaps if we did, the movies could be big events for all of us each time we go out to a theater.



A Year of Books I've Read Before

No comments:

Post a Comment